Preps ongoing for Zone 6 Handball Championships

Shelly Guni

The Zimbabwe Handball Federation has kicked started preparations for the hosting of the Zone 6 International Handball Federation Youth and Junior Championships.

ZHF Secretary General, Edson Chirowodza, said the zonal tournament will run from October 17 to 22 and nine countries will be participating with each country bringing in two teams; Under 18 and Under 20.

“This tournament is going to be the qualifier for the World Youth and Junior Championships. So the team that is going to win during the Zone 6 Regional Tournament will proceed to represent the Zone at continental level,” he said.

Chirowodza said despite the previous setback where the tournament had to be postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic, the ZHF is looking forward to hosting.

“The last competition we took part in was in 2019 and we were supposed to have hosted in 2020 again but it was shelved due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Since then there were no international tournaments, we are trying to put back our national team.”

Asked on their level of preparedness, Chirowodza said:

“I cannot say we are fully prepared. It’s a work in progress. We had a lot of challenges. Even locally there were no activities. There is a huge challenge because even in schools there has not been any competitions. So for us to get lots of talent in this age group it’s still a challenge. We had to mount a tournament two weeks back as a federation to try and identify some of the players,” he said.

He however, confirmed that they will begin having the team in camp this week.

“This coming week we are going to have our teams coming in as part of our preparations. We still have a long list. In terms of hosting we have written to the Ministry of Youth, Sports, Arts and Recreation seeking also for support in terms of facilities.

He said late last year they had a visitor from the Confederation of the Africa Handball Board who came to supervise local facilities and also gave some recommendations in terms of facility refurbishments, adding that part was still work in progress as well.

“In terms of funds, we are still lagging behind. More importantly, at the preparation stage we don’t have any money for preparations. We are relying on a few corporates who have been assisting us in terms of preparations, the likes of the Swiss Embassy,” he said.

Chirowodza called on other corporates to chip in with any form of assistance for the successful hosting of the tournament.

Preps ongoing for Zone 6 Handball Championships

Shelly Guni

The Zimbabwe Handball Federation has kicked started preparations for the hosting of the Zone 6 International Handball Federation Youth and Junior Championships.

ZHF Secretary General, Edson Chirowodza, said the zonal tournament will run from October 17 to 22 and nine countries will be participating with each country bringing in two teams; Under 18 and Under 20.

“This tournament is going to be the qualifier for the World Youth and Junior Championships. So the team that is going to win during the Zone 6 Regional Tournament will proceed to represent the Zone at continental level,” he said.

Chirowodza said despite the previous setback where the tournament had to be postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic, the ZHF is looking forward to hosting.

“The last competition we took part in was in 2019 and we were supposed to have hosted in 2020 again but it was shelved due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Since then there were no international tournaments, we are trying to put back our national team.”

Asked on their level of preparedness, Chirowodza said:

“I cannot say we are fully prepared. It’s a work in progress. We had a lot of challenges. Even locally there were no activities. There is a huge challenge because even in schools there has not been any competitions. So for us to get lots of talent in this age group it’s still a challenge. We had to mount a tournament two weeks back as a federation to try and identify some of the players,” he said.

He however, confirmed that they will begin having the team in camp this week.

“This coming week we are going to have our teams coming in as part of our preparations. We still have a long list. In terms of hosting we have written to the Ministry of Youth, Sports, Arts and Recreation seeking also for support in terms of facilities.

He said late last year they had a visitor from the Confederation of the Africa Handball Board who came to supervise local facilities and also gave some recommendations in terms of facility refurbishments, adding that part was still work in progress as well.

“In terms of funds, we are still lagging behind. More importantly, at the preparation stage we don’t have any money for preparations. We are relying on a few corporates who have been assisting us in terms of preparations, the likes of the Swiss Embassy,” he said.

Chirowodza called on other corporates to chip in with any form of assistance for the successful hosting of the tournament.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.